What would the world be like without advertising? If anybody can answer this question, it‘s Jacques Séguéla. Séguéla is the former PR-adviser to François Mitterrand and owner of HAVAS, one of the world’s most successful advertising agencies. His presentation – 50 Years of Advertising Experience, Innovation and Life Energy in an Hour – is inspirational. His experiences are impressive, his statements wise and his explanations easy to understand. Without advertising there would be no media independence, and without media independence there would be no democracy, according to Séguéla. The advertiser Frank Bodin held Jacques Séguéla up as a role model –and rightly so. Séguéla’s presentation alone was worth the trip to Lugano.
After the introductory speech by Jacques Séguéla, well-known politicians, journalists and media professionals spoke about and discussed “A World without Advertising?“ under the leadership of National Council member Filippo Leutenegger:
- Roger Brennwald, president of Swiss Indoors Basel: “Sport without Advertising”
- Roger de Weck, CEO SRG: “Electronic Media without Advertising?”
- Hanspeter Lebrument, president of Swiss Media: “Print Media without Advertising?”
- Natalie Rickli, National Council member: “Politics without Advertising?”
- Michael Gibbert, Professor of Marketing at the USI (University of Lugano): “Economics without Advertising?”
Congratulations and many thanks for a successful event to Filippo Lombardi (National Council member and president of Swiss Advertising), Ursula Gamper (SW CEO) and Urs Schnider (SW Communications Officer).